Monday, August 7, 2017

Suee and the Shadow



This graphic novel is an odd mix of the life of a middle school misfit, ghost story, and episode of Scooby Doo (I'd have gotten away with it if not for you meddling kids!).

Most of the artwork is black and white interspersed with occasional color panels. I received an early ARC, so I'm not sure whether the final book will have more color or not, but I really think the monotone artwork was perfect for the narrative. 

I enjoyed reading this book quite a lot, but was surprised how dark and surreal it was (especially for younger readers). Heavy with alienation, powerless (or straight up malign) adults, bullying, evil shadows etc. It seemed somewhat slanted toward middle readers but I think it would be rather scary and possibly confusing for most grade schoolers.

Three stars

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment