Friday, May 4, 2018

Blunt Force Magic

I'm a huge urban fantasy fan.  Despite having become something of the 'flavor of the month', there are a lot of really high quality books and series from which to choose. 

This series reminds me in a lot of ways of a lot of other scruffy, slightly disreputable, out of their depths, mages and wizards like Dresden, Atticus (iron druid), and the Sandman Slim books in all their sarcastic glory.

I love the original take on the main character.  He's an artificer which I find cool as hell.  He's well and truly out of his depth and more or less just has a bag of tricks to keep ancient evil creatures from snacking on him.

There's a nice mystery subplot which keeps the narrative moving along.  The book is capably written and eminently readable

It provided everything I look for in an urban fantasy: escapism, engaging characters, a great 'hook', a compelling story, humor, and a plot that kept me interested.  Well played! I enjoyed it very very much and look forward to the rest of the series.

Four stars
Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.  


No comments:

Post a Comment