Tuesday, August 15, 2017

A Shadowed Livery

This book has everything I love about golden age mysteries, country house setting, cast of varied characters all hiding something, murder and deceit, crime and a satisfying payoff.  There are several interwoven subplots and the characters (and their imperfections and foibles) are three dimensional and believable in the context of the book.

I like that the author didn't shy away from the antisemitism of England in 1938.  The history and background were well researched and I didn't find any egregious mistakes.

I enjoyed this book very much and I sincerely hope the author continues this series. I look forward to finding out what the wartime years hold for inspector Givens and his sidekick Sawyer.

It's a bit cliché to describe it as 'writerly' but this really is a well written book, nothing clunky or awkward here.

Five stars

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment