Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The Darkest Evening (Vera Stanhope #9)

The Darkest Evening is the 9th outing for Vera Stanhope and her crew by Ann Cleeves. Released 8th Sept 2020 by Macmillan on their Minotaur imprint, it's 384 pages and available in hardcover, audio, and ebook formats.

There are relatively few authors whose work I know I will be seeking out no matter what.  Ann Cleeves is one of a handful on my list.  I especially love her Vera Stanhope books (as well as the wonderful TV series based on the characters. Brenda Blethyn has made such an indelible stamp on the character that I can "see" her in my head whilst reading).  I had pretty high expectations going into this book but never expected to be blown away. 

I really love the development of Vera and the people on her team.  From the first book (The Crow Trap), Vera and crew were well fleshed out and believable, and the plots have been solid and tightly written and plotted.  This book is so meticulously well  crafted - clearly the author has hit her (masterful) stride.  

Beautifully written and completely compelling.  The scenery is bleak and breathtaking and lends so much atmosphere to the book. Five stars.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment