Saturday, September 2, 2017

Kind Nepenthe

This is an amazing book. The writing is astonishingly good.  I'm not usually a huge fan of modern horror and I fully intend to keep my eyes out for other work by this author.  The story arc ratchets up the tension from the beginning and it just keeps getting more and more creepy (and scary) ....  the ending had me turning the lights on because reading in the dark was too darned much for me.

Even though the characters were not particularly likeable, they were all understandable and sympathetic to a degree.  I really found myself rooting for Rebecca and her small family. I even found myself hoping things would go well for Diesel, which is saying something considering I'm about as diametrically opposed to his character as it's possible to be and still be human. 

People who already really enjoy horror will find more than enough to satisfy here... people who enjoy noir will most likely enjoy this book as well...  the people who enjoy literary/dystopian fiction will almost certainly be in raptures of delight.  A really well crafted enjoyable(?) creepy read.  Any fans who entered the room through the Joe Hill/Clive Barker/Stephen King door, enjoy this new source of horror from a new author who can stand up there with the masters.

Five big stars.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment