Thursday, December 7, 2017

Stick Sketch School: An Animal Artventure

Stick Animal Safari by Billy Attinger and Rachel Kochakis, published by Quarto - Race Point, is exactly what is on the cover.   It's a pun filled tutorial safari full of completely do-able cartoon-y stick animals.  There are 10 chapters full of tutorials grouped roughly into types; furry, scaly, helpful, birds, slimy critters, dangerous animals, extinct and fantasy things (plus others).
Each chapter includes a nonsense Linnaen nomenclature (Harius Furribelium, Purtius Burrdicus etc *groan*) and introductory sidebar followed by 6 tutorials with a practice page for each animal.  The fake Latin made me roll my eyes (and also that the 'species' names were capitalized), but being the stone-cold bionerd I am, I'm probably the only person who is even remotely affected by 'comedy' Latin, and I should just lighten up.

I was won over even BEFORE I saw the pangolin tutorial.  PANGOLINS, people!



Yeah, I thought so.

The book is aimed at younger readers, but seriously fun and usable by anyone.  I've been drawing pangolins all week in my meeting notes (I'm a professional bionerd - and yes, paying close attention in meetings!).  There are many of the puns which are firmly aimed at adults.  The book would be a really cool together-time project with family/kids.

144 pages, softbound, but roughly half the page content is the backgrounds for drawing practice.

Definitely a fun book.
Four stars
Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment