Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Dead Man's Chest

This is the 18th book in Kerry Greenwood's series with the Hon. Phryne Fisher. Originally published in 2010, this edition is a re-release from Poisoned Pen Press, in paperback and ebook versions.

I can only think of a handful of series (of any genre) that haven't gone very flat after a dozen books.  But here's Phryne, doing what she does best (beating the bad guys with style and panache) in her 18th outing.  There are pirates and smugglers, disappearing servants, buried treasure, and mysteries galore.  Despite trying to get away from everything and have a peaceful family vacation with daughters Ruth and Jane, Molly (the dog) and her companion, Dot, Phryne can't seem to avoid finding mysteries and wrongs to right.

The books are still fresh and fun.  I enjoyed this one very much.  I loved that Ruth gets to shine and be competent in this book.  I also loved the introduction of Tinker, and hope he'll get at least a cameo in future books.  I love how egalitarian Phryne is.  She could be so smug and supercilious and she's not.  I really look forward to new books in the series.  Yes, it's escapist and fun, but the books are well written and cleverly plotted.  It's good quality escapist fun.

I love Phryne and her family.  Wonderful books.

Five stars

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher (but enjoyed the book so much I bought my own copy).


No comments:

Post a Comment