Thursday, November 23, 2017

The Whispering Room

Whatever else happens, Dean Koontz can always be relied on to provide a great reading experience. Rogue FBI agent Jane Hawk is back in the sequel to The Silent CornerThe Whispering Room takes up where the first book left off, and Jane is determined to get the whole story out to the public and save the world and herself (and maybe get a little justice for her murdered/programmed suicide husband).

This book managed to trap me within a very few pages and really hold my interest until I'd read it completely. There are not many books which have actually made me miss my bus stop, but this one did.  Narrative tension is hard and Koontz makes it look easy.  He's a masterful writer and writes well crafted exciting books.  This is a solid brick of a book, 528 pages, and I didn't find that it lagged anywhere.  Jane encounters a whole host of secondary characters (I <3 Bernie!!!!) but they're described well and mostly introduced serially, so there's no problem with keeping track of who is who.

For fans of thriller/conspiracy/black ops type books (Clive Cussler, Lee Child, Robert Crais & co., I'm lookin' at you!), Jane is pure entertainment.  I'm looking forward to seeing how she manages in book #3.

If Amazon were Disneyland, Dean Koontz would be an 'E' ticket ride.

Published 21st November, 2017 by Bantam
Format: Kindle, Hardback, Paperback, audio (Audible)

Four stars

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.




No comments:

Post a Comment