Saturday, September 16, 2017

The Atwelle Confession

As other reviewers have said, I came here via the 'gargoyle groupie' door.  I do love gargoyles.  I also love period mysteries and old/ancient churches.  This book ticked a lot of boxes for me. 
The book is written in alternating flashback chapters which are labeled, so the story isn't difficult to follow.  It's a good thing, since the dialogue is -very- anachronistic and clunky in places.  I found myself wincing occasionally after a particularly wooden bit of narrative.  There were 'academic interactions' which bordered on being painful to read. 

The 16th century bits of the story are well researched and I found no obvious problems with the historical timeline.  It's worth noting that I am not a historian, just an interested amateur, so if there are anachronisms (outside the dialogue, yikes), please don't poke me with pointy sticks, thanks.

The characterizations are not in-depth or well developed.  I never found myself connecting on any level with any of the characters.  I wasn't engaged beyond wanting to find out why these murders which are separated by 500some years happened.  The resolution of the mystery was mostly satisfying and without spoiling anything, I was amused that a lawyer came up with such a convoluted solution.

The book is a solid 3 stars and I enjoyed reading it. It would make a good summer airport/travel read.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher



No comments:

Post a Comment