Sunday, August 20, 2017

Lies We Tell Our Kids

This is a darkly humorous book with really wonderful illustrations from Brett E. Wagner and Animal Media Group.  The illustrations are beautiful.  The 'lies' are not really commonly told lies so much as weird 'what ifs'.  I wasn't familiar with most of them, though a few (if you pick your nose, your finger will get stuck, if you cross your eyes, they'll get stuck that way, etc) I had heard in my misspent youth. Many of them were straight up weird and seemed a bit like the author was trying to think of anything to pad out the book somewhat.

That being said, it's a short (105p.) book with gorgeous illustrations by a very talented author.

If you think of it in the same vein as Go the F**k to Sleep or Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book then it's quite a bit funnier. I enjoyed it.

Three stars

PS If my mom told me dragons came from stinky shoes, I guarantee I'd never have changed my socks or shoes again, just on the off chance of getting my own dragon :)


Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher. 


No comments:

Post a Comment